Life in Peru

Quechua girl names

The most popular post on this blog remains “Looking for names of Inca princesses”, which I wrote when we first found out our baby was going to be a girl. We had already picked Brianna for the first name, but I wanted a native or Quechua name as well.

Since then I’ve learned a lot about Quechua girl names. My students made me a list of Quechua names:

• Urpi (Dove)
  • Illary (Rainbow)
  • Tica (Flower)
  • Saywa
  • Illa
  • Killa
  • K’antu (the national flower of Peru)
  • Kusi
  • Mayu

Probably the most common Quechua girl name I’ve heard here in Cusco is Chaska. If you like names of famous people, you can choose Q’orianka, after Peruvian-American actress Q’orianka Kilcher. Site friend Amazilia posted this link to Quechua names in the comments of my “Looking for names of Inca princesses” post.

Patricia wanted to pick a unique name though, and found Nayaraq on this list of Quechua names. So we settled on “Brianna Nayaraq”.

Brianna Nayaraq

Brianna Nayaraq

Nayaraq means “who has many desires”. I hope she will grow up with the desire to make Peru an even better place.

I’m very happy we picked a name that will remind our daughter of her heritage as well as the great history and culture of Peru. Of course we also like the way it sounds, plus we can use “Naya” or “Yara” for a nickname :)

About these ads

July 2, 2009 - Posted by | Life in Peru | , , , , ,

8 Comments »

1. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Guillermo y Rosa

Comment by guillermohuyhua | July 25, 2009 | Reply

2. Great!!!!

Comment by avatar quechua | August 29, 2010 | Reply

3. That’s nice. I am pregnant, and I would like my baby to have a quechua name too. I am glad you name your baby in Quechua. I want my baby to know about its roots as well

Comment by Rocio | August 11, 2011 | Reply

4. Thanks for visiting Rocio. I wish you all the best with your pregnancy and I hope you find a great Quechua name for your baby as well!

Comment by wwelvaert | August 14, 2011 | Reply

5. Kiyari means moonlight in quechua and thats what i am naming my daughter i am 21 weeks

Comment by Elena | September 11, 2011 | Reply

6. Hi Elena. Thanks for visiting my blog and congratulations on your pregnancy. Kiyari is a beautiful Quechua name, thank you for sharing!

Comment by wwelvaert | September 12, 2011 | Reply

7. HEY MY NAME IS CHASKA!!!!!!! :D

Comment by Chaska | May 28, 2013 | Reply

8. Im from Ecuador and would like my baby girl to remember its roots even though my husband is mexican. Im thinking of Illary, i really like it. Either that or a mayan name, Alitzel

Comment by DF | September 18, 2013 | Reply